School is out and Summer is in!
- Summer in Maine is upon us! If you’re like me and have a busy schedule, take the time now to plan some summer activities! Strawberry picking is right around the corner (Maxwell’s in Cape Elizabeth is great!). Plan beach or lake trips, camping trips and maybe even the occasional concert at Thompson’s Point!
- Time to install your screens for windows and if you use them, now is the time to take down the storm doors and install screen doors to let the summer breeze flow in. Inspect your screens to make sure there aren’t any tears from your four year old (like mine!) those mosquitos and green head flies love to make their way inside!
- Get your cooling systems in place. Clean and install A/C units, you should have had your heat pump serviced if you followed along last month, and don’t forget to clean ceiling fans and switch the direction they spin to ensure you have the circulation pushing the air downward!
- Add to your curb appeal with flowering plants that are beneficial to our bees, butterflies and even hummingbirds! I would recommend going to your local garden center (my favorites in Greater Portland are Broadway Gardens, Skillins, and O’Donals). They have experts there that can recommend native species that will best fit your area!
- Make a list of your outdoor projects to complete over the summer months! New walkways, raised garden beds, patios, decks and firepits all add appeal and charm to your home!
- In June we like to celebrate Dads and Grads, no better way than with new tools! I would recommend buying quality tools, however for the first timers, no need to break the bank initially. Find which tools you use and rely on the most, and then when those wear out, purchase the best quality that you can afford!
- Change your smoke/ co detector batteries. The pro’s say this should be done every six months, so mark June and December on your calendar!
- Clean and seal your exterior porches and decks, I would recommend starting by removing any mold and mildew, then re-staining or water sealing.
- Have a summer solstice party! Enjoy Maine for all that June has to offer!